Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Viewfinder / Groundglass


I’m slowly getting accustomed to using a digital camera, but I’m having problems composing with the less than adequate viewfinder of my DSLR. I’m use to looking at a groundglass under a dark cloth. The image I see on my 10”x 8” groundglass is upside down and reversed, but it’s huge which aids composition. In contrast the view through my Sony viewfinder pales in comparison. Okay it’s not upside down or reversed, but its miniscule when compared to my view cameras. I’m also unable to see the full viewfinder when I put the camera to my eye. This is another negative aspect of the Sony.


The link above is to a youtube movie clip by Alec Soth who eulogises the benefits of using a 10x8 camera. I agree wholeheartedly with his comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home