Saturday, October 18, 2008

New Tools


Above are my 2008 eBay photographic equipment purchases. These cameras and lenses along with my existing large format equipment have reinforced my commitment to analogue photography. Although I still have my DSLR I only use it for snapshots. At times I struggle with the limited dynamic range of digital. I also dislike my DSLR’s small and inaccurate viewfinder. I much prefer the sumptuous view you get while under the darkcloth, looking at the groundglass of a large format camera.

Perhaps it’s very 19th century, but I enjoy the slow process of large format photography. I feel more involved and in control of what I photograph, than when I have a DSLR to my eye. Maybe I should mount my DSLR a tripod which would slow down my picture taking, but it wouldn’t take away the act of looking through the dark tunnel of its viewfinder. Perhaps it’s time to upgrade my camera or just abandon DSLR’s until there is a camera that meets my needs and my not to well padded wallet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home